Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Trattoria da Tito

On Monday morning, when I returned from my run, the girls wanted to go shopping.  I was happy to see them go off on their own because I was not in the mood for shopping.  While they were away, I made a few phone calls until I got though to a certain restaurant that I've been wanting to try.  I've read about this place and even saw something on television about it once and so I was happy about making a reservation.

Trattoria da Tito http://trattoriadatito.it/  is a 2 km walk from where we are staying but finding it after navigating the twisted streets of Florence was definitely worth it.  By far the most  memorable and fun time we've had eating out, since we got here.  Its a very lively place, filling with locals and tourists alike.  Like the owner (Bobo) told me, " we treat everyone the same here, so that even if you are a visitor, we make you feel like you live here".  The food really was fantastic, completely traditional and truly homemade.  When we were done with our main course, Bobo came by and I told him honestly, that we had been in Florence for two weeks and that this had been our favorite meal.  He let out a big loud " I love you guys (in Italian) " for the whole restaurant to hear and hugged me right at the table.  Whoa, that was intense.  I think I made a friend.  

For a short time, an old man came in off the street and started playing the accordion.  I've never heard Elvis, accordion style. 

For desert, Alli had a piece of Ferrero Rocher pie.  From the looks of her eating it, she was in heaven.  Ann's desert was so good, that I wasn't allowed to talk to her while she ate it.  She said she needed a moment.  I asked for some Vinsanto and biscotti and they returned with a small carafe of it and three glasses to share it.  Bobo came by and we asked for espresso and Alli ordered tea.  He laughed and told Alli that she was in Italy and " no tea for you.  You drink Limoncello".  He returned to the table with three different bottles of artisan made liquors made by friends of his and a pile of shot glasses.  He filled my glass, and left the bottles for us to sample on the house.  A young waiter came by and told us that his boss told him to make sure we drink or he would be fired.  Well, we didn't want that on our conscience and so we tried them all.  I made sure to thank Bobo for a wonderful experience.  The great food, awesome atmosphere and very good value mean that I will come back here someday and I will recommend it to friends.
Pumpkin Cream soup


Osso buco







Thank you Bobo

On the long walk back, we stopped for a pony ride



Tradition has it, if you drop a coin from his mouth, you will return to Florence

No comments:

Post a Comment