Thursday, February 12, 2015

A very early morning equals a crash and burn afternoon


We were all awake by 4 am and out of bed by five.  When on vacation, there is no point in fighting jet lag.  If you're awake, get up. And, if you're drop dead sleepy, sleep.


After some coffee and breakfast, Ann and  I waited for the sun to start showing itself over the east hills ( a little after 7 am) before heading out on a 10 km run/walk that i had mapped out on the south side of the Arno river.  We chose to do a fast walk for the first few uphill kilometers until we reached the Piazza Michelangelo. We took a few photos from this elevated vantage point of beautiful Florence below.  We then ran downhill for a few kilometers, took a wrong turn at a traffic circle ( which added a few km to our run) and then had the good fortune of meeting a helpful young Italian man who asked us if we needed help because he could tell that we were slightly lost.  The people of Florence are absolute gems.

Eventually we made it back to the apartment, picked up Alli and made the 1.4 km walk to the Mercato Centrale.  This indoor market really is awesome.  It's a foody's paradise.  OK, its not China, and i didn't see any dog meat, but before this adventure is through, I am going to eat a horse; or at least part of one!  We had lunch at the market and Alli will testify that you will not find a roast beef panino with such buttery delicious glory and fineness as these anywhere at home.  Its difficult for me to describe some of this food without ebbing sexual lingo.  This is a family show.

We bought a big fat steak Florentine, artichokes and other things to make for supper tonight.  Alli and I cringed as the butcher chopped and chopped through the t-bone to give us that perfect 2 inch steak.  We both thought he was going to chop his thumb off.

We got back to the apartment after 2 pm and we all gave into to jet lag and slept until after 6 pm.  Ann and I picked up a few small ingredients and some inexpensive grappa at a  nearby little supermarket and then had a 9 pm supper.  As I write this, it is almost midnight.  The girls have been asleep for awhile.  I am looking out the window at the nearly empty Piazza Santa Croce and thinking about how fortunate I truly am.

No comments:

Post a Comment