On Sunday morning, we all slept in quite late and didn't head out the door until around noon. We crossed the river on the Ponte Vecchio and went straight up the road to the Pitti Palace to see where the powerful Medici family used to live. It was all very grandiose and a great display of the opulence that was their lives.
 |
| One of the many goldsmith shops on Ponte Vecchio |
 |
| Outside the grand Pitti Palace |
 |
| I noticed a lot of works by Raphael here |
 |
| Incredible Ceilings |
 |
| Raphael again |
 |
| Fancy Smancy! |
 |
| Even Victor Hugo has a home here |
 |
| Hard to believe she was once just a chunk of rock. |
 |
| We left the Palace via this grand staircase |
Once outside, we wondered the Bobili Gardens which are attached to the palace. Even for this time of the year, there were really very spectacular. They must be really something to see in the summer when the flowers are all out. In the late afternoon, we could hear an announcement over loud speakers in the distance. It just kept playing over and over again, non stop. As we got closer to it, I realized that it was a warning that the gardens would soon be closing and to please make your way to the nearest exit. It repeated itself it English, French, German and Italian. I explained to the girls that the Italian message was slightly different in that it warned about how at 5:00 PM sharp, the lions would be released for the entertainment of Florentine citizens. I explained about how I felt sorry for all the Asians, oblivious to any of the announcements and the fate that they would meet come five o'clock.
 |
| Lots of olive trees in the background |
 |
| Nice place except for the one CRACKHEAD |
 |
| Oranges |
We managed to get out before the lions were released but decided not to stay to take in the ensuing carnage. Instead, we got cleaned up and went out for diner at Ristorante la Maremma.
http://www.ristorantelamaremma.com/
 |
| Ann's yummy desert |
 |
| I explained to the waiter that I was taking photos of my empty plates to show the world how good the food was. This is what remains of my bean soup. |
 |
| Wild Boar.....Get in my belly! |
No comments:
Post a Comment