Sunday, February 22, 2015

Accademia Gallery

We saved this famous art gallery for Craig and Jenna's last full day in Florence.  The first unexpected impression of this museum, which houses what is probably the most famous marble statue in the world, hit me before I even entered the building.  We were walking down this  narrow, rather indistinguishable street when Ann got into a line behind some other people.  Surely this wasn't the queue for a famous museum.  This must be a line up for tourist pizza?  Sure enough, we were about to enter the Accademia Gallery.  My North American perspective of things made it difficult  for me to comprehend how a museum like this could have such a modest exterior.

Once getting through security, everything made sense again.  I think Michelangelo himself, would be impressed with the way the museum has displayed David and his unfinished slaves pieces.  David himself, truly is a masterpiece.  I am not an art "officiano" (in case you didn't realize, that's an Italian word) but even I can appreciate the grandeur that is Michelangelo's David.


I thought big feet meant....oh never-mind.




Bust of Michelangelo complete with the broken nose he obtained in a fight as a very young man. 

Unfinished sculptures of slaves by Michelangelo.  Very interesting to see the unpolished works. 


The accademia was originally an art school, and the busts lining this room were the final exams of many students

While visiting the Rodin museum in Paris, I came to the realization that sculpture is my favorite art form.  The ability of human beings to be able to bring life to pieces of rock has always amazed and fascinated me.  I am a part of the digital age, where the abstract fabrications of our modern world are what it often takes to hold the hearts of the young.  However, personally, the tactile, three dimensional world of these sculptures are what I appreciate and make me feel alive.  Imagine a world without television or the internet:  No wonder they loved it so.
After the museum, we stopped somewhere for a light lunch and played with Craig's mustache

After lunch, the girls went wandering by themselves on the south side of the river, looking at shops and getting themselves lost.  We all eventually met at the Piazzale Michelangelo lookout. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYgmQZISOsw

In the evening, we went to the Restaurant right under our rental apartment. http://boccadama.com/ It was nice but I'm thinking that its a bit of a tourist trap, catering to Americans.  If you see balsamic vinegar on the table, you know Italians don't eat there.  The whole concept of mixing oil and balsamic to dip your bread in is NOT Italian.  Italians simply sprinkle olive oil and the some salt on their pieces of bread.  Its really good that way too.


Buon Appetito


No comments:

Post a Comment